Release 0.2 Hacktoberfest – Recap

 I have sent 4 pull requests for Release0.2/Hacktoberfest this month, three of them are merged and one is waiting for view. To recap, I contributed to the following open-source project.

the First PR to onefetch

At the beginning of hacktoberfest, I started with an easy issue for my first pull request --first issue. This issue just reduces the size of an ASCII logo of onefetch repository. It is a pretty easy task but I still spend a few hours on it. It's because I don't know how to run a Rust project property on my machine. I learned some basic commands of Rust by doing this pull request.

the Second PR to issue-collab

The preview PR I sent is reducing the size of an ASCII logo of onefetch repository which has nothing related to programming. Therefore, I decided to find an issue that at least do something programming for my second PR. I finally work on issue-collab which is a React web-app that does similar functionality as Github search with better-looking UI. in issue-57, I add a number of comments to appear on each issue section. By doing this pull request, I practice my React skills and knowledge. 

the Third PR to issue-collab

I decided to find a bug issue to work for my third pull request. Luckily, one of the contributors of issue-collab posted a bug in this web application --issue71. In this issue, I uploaded a gif to clarify the bug and discussed it with the project owner. Then I send a pull request to fix the bug caused by the asynchronous function. By doing this pull request, I developed my debugging skill and strengthen my knowledge of asynchronous/ synchronous function.

the fourth PR to mattemost-webapp

For the last PR, I have spent a lot of time finding an issue that I am capable to work on this time. I feel that I am so bad at self-learning. I looked at quite a few issues and tried to work on it but I just can't understand them even I googled and tested a lot. Finally, I gave up on adding a new feature for my fourth pull request. Instead, I decided to contribute to the project mattermost which larger than my previous projects. The issue-16167  asked people to convert all the file under a component from Javascript to Typescripts. My pull request for this project hasn't been merged yet, but it approved by one of the reviewers. By doing this pull request, I learned some concepts of Typescripts, and how to convert from javascript to Typescripts correctly.

Final thought

Hacktoberfest is a wonderful event that allows and encourages everyone to contribute to open source development. After all 4 pull requests, I still feel I only know a little but everyone else knows much more than me. I agree that the majority of people in open source are friendly. I should ask them some questions rather than I tried to figure out myself because I spent too much time on how to build and run the project in developer mode.

Moreover, I aslo have learned a lot during this month such as how to build and run Rust, how to create draft/ready to view PR, practice Typescript and React, successfully using Git. One of the best things I learned is how to use Git and Github. Even I am not capable to contribute a bigger/more complex feather right now, I believe that I will be able to do it in the future as long as I have solid knowledge of Git and Github.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My PR for release 0.3 External Project

OSD600 Lab8

OSD600 -- Release 0.4.1 -- Choose Project and issues