My first PR for Hacktoberfest

Finding the first issue to work with

As a beginner in the open-source project development, it is really hard to find something that I comfortable working with. I found out that there are so many competitors on a lot of issues, and it struggled me a while. I finally noticed that I can sort the issues by newest, then there would be much fewer competitors. 

The first issue I was working on is that reduce the size of an ASCII logo of onefetch repository. Since the logo exceeds the max size imposed by their Guideline, the project owner wants to reduce the size of the logo with a width < MAX_WIDTH = 40 and height < MAX_HEIGHT = 25.  



Since I am not a creative person, I asked the owner that is he accepts a size down of the original logo or he wants a completely new logo. And he assigns the issue to me since he just wants a size down of the original logo.

Working on my first issue

 after I got assigned, I just realized the project is written in Rust which I never try about. I started to download and learned some commands of Rust project. I don't really need to know the much about Rust, but I need to at least know how to build and test my output. 

I found the maximum width of the original log is 47, I reduced the longest line to 40 first then adjust the rest lines to look similar to the original logo. Even the issue is not difficult,  it still took me a few hours to finish.

I also used their command "cargo test -- --ignored" to test is the logo size suitable. 


Sending my first PR

I end up with 3 different versions because I don't have any confidence in my artistic ability. Before I send the PR, I cautiously asked the owner is satisfied with my logo. He said "Looks perfect!

Looking forward to merge your PR". I was so happy that my work gets approved. 

I finally send my PR Reduce size of Nim's ASCII logo, with the issue number, output image, test result. The owner merged it n a few mins and thanked me for my contribution.

Links

the Repo: https://github.com/o2sh/onefetch

the Issue: https://github.com/o2sh/onefetch/issues/250

the PR: https://github.com/o2sh/onefetch/pull/254

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My PR for release 0.3 External Project

OSD600 Lab8

OSD600 -- Release 0.4.1 -- Choose Project and issues